Thursday 26 July 2012

Web 2.0 Learning opportunity : My experience

The University of Mauritius (UoM) invited the National Parks and Conservation Service (NPCS) to participate for the Web 2.0 Training Workshop for one week per batch.

The UoM requested to select five key persons from our department to follow the training.  The Director, NPCS selected me the names including myself, due to my position and working in the Public Awareness Section while trying to disseminate information on the importance of native species conservation in Mauritius.   Truly speaking, at the beginning, I thought that the training would be on common things that I already know on the Web.  However, up till now, the training has been a big surprise on how ignorant I was on the importance and use of Web 2.0 tools.
This training has provided me a better insight to significantly improve my communication strategy both personally and professionally towards the delivery of my duty.   I performed a very elemental SWOT analysis of the Web 2.0 application to my workplace.

Strength : User friendly, free and easily accessible
Weakness: Good internet connection required, Web 2.0 applications not well known to other staff
Opportunity: Allows dissemination of information to wider audience, Improve the image of department
Threats: Willingness to change by management, certain application may change too often.

After completing the training, i will try to implement certain of the tools in my workplace most particularly Google docs, Google Map, LinkedIn and Blogging.











No comments:

Post a Comment